Pages

Jul 22, 2014

My Very First Overseas Trip to the US

It was a cool Thursday night! The first thing that my husband told me as soon as he came from work was ‘we are leaving to the US in three days.’ At that point, I really didn't know how to react. I felt really happy for moving to a new place with loads of things to explore and at the same time felt sad for leaving my family and friends.

The next three days, everything in my house looked haywire. Right from my dad and mom to my brother and husband, everyone was in the hustle and bustle of packing things for our trip. Being a typical south Indian, I cannot survive on American food. So, my mom packed all kinds of masalas, rice, dhal and more that would last at least for two months. My luggage was oozing out with food items and cooking utensils rather than clothes. After checking the weight of each luggage until it showed 23 kg or less, we settled down and thought of relaxing a bit but it was already 7.00 PM. Our flight was scheduled at 1.00 AM, however we had to check in at 11.00 PM. Therefore, me and my husband took a quick bath and got ready for the trip.

Once we reached the airport, a sense of melancholy engulfed me on the thought of leaving my parents and my brother. I fought my tears back but finally broke out when we were about to bid goodbye to my parents and in-laws. My mom cried seeing me cry and it caught the attention of the passersby, but who cares. At last, we checked in and thankfully our luggage didn't surpass the limit. At a distance, I caught the sight of my parents and brother who were waiting in the visitor’s area and eagerly watching us going through the check-in process. After the luggage check-in process, we joined the hand luggage checking queue. Right from that moment till my turn of checking approached, I was madly waving goodbye to my mom who was reciprocating the same from the visitor’s area. Many people gave us second glances, but we didn't mind. That’s the kind of bond which a mother and daughter shares and the emotion cannot be explained in words.

No comments:

Post a Comment